We are proposing a constitutional amendment to DSA to increase the NPC from 16 to 24 members while retaining the allocation to various categories of members. The proposal is virtually identical to the 2017 resolution that received about 63% of the vote - not the 2/3 necessary to pass.
To get this on the 2019 convention agenda, we need co-sponsorship from 50 (or more) DSA members - and we need it by May 2.
If you agree, RESPOND DIRECTLY TO ME,
If you wan to sign on, your response should include:
(2) email (try to use the one you gave to the NO);
(4) zip code
return to this address
Resolution below the fold
Proposed amendment to the DSA Constitution re Number of NPC Members
Name(s) of those proposing the resolution who will serve as lead contact(s):Members of the North Star Steering Committee
The Rationale: Statement of why this amendment is being proposed (Motivation for the Amendment) Motivation: DSA’s National Political Committee serves as the organization’s highest decision-making body between National Conventions. In addition to providing political leadership, DSA’s NPC members direct the implementation of DSA’s political and organizational goals. They create and serve on committees and task forces to guide particular areas of DSA’s political work; they also instruct and support the staff in carrying out the organization’s operations.
In the past few years, DSA has experienced immense growth. We have a huge influx of new members who have varying degrees of organizing experience as well as different levels of familiarity with democratic socialist vision and politics. DSA chapters are springing up all over the country; many have formed in areas outside major metropolitan regions and in places not known as hotbeds of progressive politics.
Increasing the size of DSA’s National Political Committee from sixteen to twenty-four members would:
(1) Increase the likelihood that the perspectives and needs of people organizing in diverse political terrain would be taken into account;
(2) Provide more NPC members to be available and accountable for carrying out the body’s responsibilities and serving as resources for the staff and locals, without making the body itself so large that its effectiveness and efficiency are compromised.
(3) Provide a cushion in the event that some NPC members are unable, for personal or other reasons, to fulfill their NPC responsibilities, resulting in more work for both the remaining NPC members and DSA's national staff. Inability of some elected NPC members to carry out their responsibilities has been an ongoing problem for the NPC.
(4) By retaining the proportion of NPC seats reserved for women and people of color, increase their numbers on DSA's national political decision making body.
Old Language in Constitution (if any) EXISTING LANGUAGE: Section 2. The members of the NPC shall be one representative of the Youth Section and 16 delegates elected at the national convention. Of the elected members, at least eight shall be women and at least four shall be racial or national minority members of DSA. In the event that these minority positions are not filled at the Convention, the position(s) shall be filled by the NPC, except that only minority members of DSA may be elected to fill such vacancies. In case of other such vacancies, except a vacancy of the Youth Section Representative, the NPC shall appoint a member of the organization in good standing to serve until the next Convention. No person shall serve simultaneously on the National Staff and the NPC.
New Language PROPOSED AMENDED LANGUAGE Section 2. The members of the NPC shall be two representatives of the Youth Section and 24 delegates elected at the national convention. Of the elected members, at least 12 shall be women and at least 6 shall be DSA members who identify as racial or national minorities. In the event that either of the specified representational categories are not filled at the Convention, the unfilled position(s) shall be filled by the NPC with the requirement that the proportional representation detailed in the above shall be maintained. In case of other vacancies, except a vacancy of the Youth Section Representative, the NPC shall appoint a member of the organization in good standing to serve until the next Convention. No person shall serve simultaneously on the National Staff and the NPC.